Sunday, October 26, 2008

... In which Mike and Amanda committ an embarrassing error

Mike and I have been on a slow search for "our restaurant" in Winchester. (We're having a really hard time coping with the lack of Training Table and Cafe Rio in our lives). So, at the 5K we ran with my parents Mike won a gift certificate to the Cork Street Tavern, and it sounded just odd enough to be worth a shot. We went there for lunch a few weeks ago, and had some decent burgers and a good time. Good enough, in fact, that we decided to go there a second time on Friday night (Getting a second date with us is pretty big for these restaurants. What can we say? We're hot right now). So, we walk to the "Tavern," order our burgers, eat, chat, be our charming selves, pay our bill, and get up to leave. I could include in this story a long and boring discussion of the layout of the Tavern and its different hallways and entrances, but I'll spare you. The point is this: Mike and I are talking and laughing for all to see on our way through the crowded dining room to the door... he opens the door for me, I step through... he begins to follow... suddenly I think, "It's REALLY dark..." ... Then as my eyes adjust, I start noticing the high-chairs stacked in front of me, and it dawns on me: "This is a closet." Hmmm. We awkwardly turn around, and I follow him OUT of the closet... our charm and laughter have disappeared as we quickly and silently weave our way through the dining room tables to the real front door. Well, shucks. I really thought the Tavern was going to be our place, but now we are too embarrassed to ever go there again.

5 comments:

Erika Ellis said...

I love it!!! Can I tell you how many times I have re-read this tavern story?

mommaquincy said...

Great story! I think you should go back and enter the closet every time you do! They wouldn't know what to think!

Dave and Mel said...

this is hilarious and well written-- I felt like I was there and that made it even funnier! that's so fun that your parents came out and it really made me want to get down there to visit you guys. maybe you could show us around the tavern closet?

Steve said...

I guess you can't blame it on the Cork Street Ale

Jessica said...

Ha ha, I'm glad we're not the only ones who do stuff like that!