Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our First Christmas Tree

We bought the tree at Goodwill (of course), and it's a little flimsy, but it's still fun. I probably shouldn't have posted it yet, since the tree is not really all the way done... but I missed my blog. And, like an idiot, I didn't take any pictures at Thanksgiving with the Francises. (Hey Kim and Mel, how bad do you want to help a girl out with some sharing of some pics?...). Also, I couldn't wait to post pictures of our awesome star! Mike and I stayed up late last night rolling and gluing yellow paper around tiny little dowels to create a christmas miracle:
We used this online tutorial. Notice the one and half strands of popcorn and fruit loop decorations that I got from "slave labor" Activity Night at the church!!! Actually, that particular activity night, the scout leader didn't show up, so I had all the little boys AND girls to myself, HA HA HA -- that was my evil laugh. We talked about how important traditions are, what some of their favorite traditions are, and then I told them that I remember going to help my aunt Dianna make this popcorn and fruit loop decoration when I was little, while we watched movies. And then we all did just that. It was a pretty fun activity, and I got to keep the decorations that nobody wanted for OUR tree. Yay!

So, I have to plop myself down in front of some good 90's 90210 on Netflix this week to finish the silly popcorn decorations, and also to make some special ornaments that I am really looking forward to. Mike told me that in his family, each year his mom gets each of her kids their own ornament. He says that it was really fun for him when Jean would put up the tree and unpack all of the old ornaments, that he would get to hang each of "his" yearly ornaments up one by one -- finding the perfect place for each one. When he was old enough he noticed how the styles and quality changed over the years. I thought that sounded like a really fun tradition -- so this year I am going to have to find or make two special 2008 ornaments, one for Mike and one for me. Better start our little collection now, right? Any ideas?

9 comments:

Erika Ellis said...

Awesome tree! Our first tree we decorated with candy canes, and that was all. By the time Christmas came, we had eaten ALL the candy canes. Your star is so cool.

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE STAR!! So creative :) Way to go team! I think your tree is perfect. We are getting ours next week and it will be a candy-cane/jingle bell theme!

I'm trying to think of some fun traditions for me and Mike to start as well!

Can't wait to see you guys!

mommaquincy said...

Great tree, as expected from the crafty person you are. I think that you should get an ornament to remind you of the place you are living, but one to commemorate your first Christmas as a couple.

Min and Mary said...

ooh, make me a star! enlist the slaves. For your special ornaments, I think you should find or make little birds. They belong in trees, you know. And, two turtle-doves could also represent Mike and Amanda in love.

Rachel Francis said...

yeah the star is super cool. i'm definitely a fan! and i don't have any pictures from the thanksgiving trip either so we have all kindof decided to share... hop up on the band wagon!! see you in three weeks time!

chel wakley said...

Hey Manda Manda-
Its Chelsea i found you through shea. Looks like you guys are doing great. I am so happy you are a blogger now I can see you.. Also can you come to Megs shower? I am throwing it? Its naughty? You should come... It is on Thursday the 19th. Your mom said you will be here. Hope to see you
love Chels

chel wakley said...

oh p.s. my email is chelcram@msn.com

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Love that tree! What a creative star! I have been wanting a neat star - I never find one I like. Ok, SEE YOU SOON! Xoxo, L

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

PS I just read Mary's comments - makes me long for her! =)