Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Outer Banks

Kill Devil Hills
Last week, Mike and I took a trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. We stayed in a hotel in a place called Kill Devil Hills.
First thing we did when we got to our hotel, was turn on the TV and watch some cable, glorious cable. I think, judging from the look on Mike's face, that we could have stayed inside to watch TV the whole week and that would have been fine with him: Kill Devil Hills happens to be the place where the Wright Brothers actually accomplished their first flight (not at Kitty Hawk, which is just a few miles to the north). So we went to the Wright Brothers National Monument Park Place Thing... I guess I really like dioramas...
Then we headed outside to the historic site of the first flights and the beautiful monument there. You can see the markers for the landings of the first four flights. Mike was overcome with emotion during the experience We were going to take pictures of each of the markers, but... it seemed like a pretty long walk. But, I mean, you get the idea with the first one, right?

The Dunes

Next we headed to Jockey Ridge Stae Park, the site of the largest natural and "live" sand dune in the Eastern United States. I guess this means that the size and shape of the dune are constantly changing due to wind. So then, how do they know that it's the largest if its size is always changing? I don't know. But I do know that there was a lot of sand.

And who can avoid a quick round of minigolf (or as Mike likes to call it "putt putt") when you're on vacation?

Afternoons in Rodanthe

Eventually, we decided to venture to the other romantic and interesting places along the outer banks. We went to Manteo on Roanoke Island.
Made a quick stop at a "Brew Thru" (have you ever been to one of these?). It's a drive through gas station. Weirdest thing ever. Only thing weirder was that when the cute little attendant asked Mike if he wanted anything, he told her to get him a Yoohoo.
We saw some lighthouses
We ate at the Froggy Dog Restaurant in Avon, NC We wanted to visit the world famous beaches in Ocracoke -- but first we had to ride the (free!!) ferry from one island to the next
Finally, we found our beaches.

6 comments:

mommaquincy said...

You guys need to hire a photographer so you can both be in the picture at the same time! Looks like a great adventure though!

Erika Ellis said...

Thanks for posting those, and I love the commentary! Looks like an awesome trip, good job!

Missy said...

I love your quirky vacations, they look like great fun.

Caitlyn said...

I want to play vaca again with you! You always choose the thing I want to see (quirky things about each state and historical things which NEED to be made fun of). I miss you guys! One or both of you should come immediately! (well, it'll almost come true...)

mammasweet said...

Manda, Rob and I, (and maybe Leah) are planning to fly into Cleveland in October and drive to Pennsylvania to see his family. We're going to do some touring. By that time you two will have covered the entire Eastern seaboard. I read your blog every week. Thanks for sharing.

G'ma J said...

Wow, how did I miss this when it was first posted? I love the skateboarder! What a fun trip, looks like it was very relaxing. Thanks for sharing.