Mike and I celebrated Thanksgiving with Dave, Mel, Zanna, and James in NYC this year. It was a blast. Started a little rough though, at about hour 3 of our ten hour drive to NY, I started getting carsick... It was officially the first time I have ever thrown up out of a moving car. Yuck!
Anywho, we finally got to Dave and Mel's at about midnight and then stayed up late eating Cocoa Puffs and chatting with them. Needless to say, we were in no condition to get up at 5 a.m. and go to the Macey's Thanksgiving Parade. Didn't stop Mel though, she is maybe a little bit super-human. When she got back we walked to the hospital cafeteria and had Thanksgiving lunch with Dave. That's right; he had to work on Thanksgiving! We decided that we didn't want to make Dave jealous by doing anything really fun while he was working, so we all took naps and lounged the day away (except Mike who was... need I even say it?... studying for finals).
On Friday we went into the city! We started by walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (so fun!)
That was such hard work that we needed to immediately find several places to eat. Chinese food in Chinatown, and then awesome rice pudding at Rice to Riches:
Then we started heading toward Times Square. I seriously cannot believe how tough Zanna and James are! We walked the Brooklyn Bridge plus about 50 or more blocks, and they just walked and walked and walked and never complained. What troopers!
At Times Square we went to the NBC store and the M&M store. Here we are enjoying the famous Wall of M&M's!
|
|
Then we walked around 5th avenue and finally ended up at the giant piano at FAO Schwartz

What a long, fun day in the city!
Saturday morning we woke up and decided it was time to actually celebrate Thanksgiving. Here are the before and after pictures of our turkey (and ourselves). I want you all to know that I got this turkey for free in Winchester and brought it up to Manhasset in a cooler! It was very tasty!
A random picture of my belly (courtesy of Zanna!)

This year we decided to try one of Mel's famliy's Thanksgiving traditions. She baked some brown sugar cookies with popsicle sticks in them. Then she pulled out some toothpicks (for paintbrushes) and food coloring, and we each had to paint one of the iced cookies to look like someone else at our little dinner. I painted Mel, she painted Dave, Mike painted Zanna, Zanna painted Mike, Dave painted me, and James painted himself. Here we are slaving away:
And here are the finished products. When we finished we stuck the popsicle stick into a big gumdrop. That way they could stand up on their own, to mark everyone's place at the table. Sadly, we were too hungry to wait dinner on the placemarker cookies... so instead we decided to just try our best to look like the cookies:

Thanks for an awesome Thanksgiving guys!
6 comments:
so cool! That cookie idea is way cute. Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving. Do awesome on those finals Mike!
What an adventure! And you were too pregnant to take down the Halloween decorations! You look great!
I think Mike gets the look-a-like-cookie award! I'm a little jealous, we had a nice Thanksgiving, but take a look at my soup! Maybe you can tell me the correct spelling. Wow, when you told me you got carsick, I didn't anticipate such a hiking excursion! Good job. See you in a couple of weeks!!!!! After seeing my word-verification (omnet), I wondered if we should look for first names from these options?
Read your blog - sure you may say - "dave you only read the blog because the post was about you and you're family!" and that simply might be true.
Dave
how fun! You two are always going on such great adventures! Did you have to stop a hundred times to use the bathroom? =) You and the bump are looking quite fabulous (oh and Mike too). Can't wait to see you.
Post a Comment