Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring Break: The Last Days

Well, on days 3, 4, and 5 we spent much time and energy seeing everything there was to see in three different cities (in three different states!), so, when days 6 and 7 came rolling around... we suddenly found we were very tired. Specifically, very tired of being in the car together...
So, we changed our plans to drive to Jamestown and Williamsburg, and opted instead for the SHORT drive to Front Royal, for attempt #2 at visiting the Shenandoah National Park. Fortunately, this time there were no shooters, but unfortunately... it was 34 degrees Farenheit. Suddenly, a hike just didn't sound like such a good time anymore. Instead we drove about 25 miles on the park's Skyline drive. At each lookout (or, at least, at all the lookouts with informative plaques) we stopped and got out. Amanda and Caitlyn brought their specially formulated commemorative bubbles, which they solemnly blew (which are really the best way to celebrate visiting any important, beautiful, or historic site) , while I quickly (and yet authoritatively) read each plaque aloud, so that we could all learn the important insights that others had left for us.
On Caitlyn and Amanda's last day here, we decided to drive into DC early, since they missed out on seeing the Smithsonian the first time they were there. We saw Oscar the Grouch, "The Puffy Shirt" from Seinfeld from Seinfeld, the portrait of Stephen Colbert (Mike's favorite), among other amazing things.
There was the coolest exhibit there: "The Star Spangled Banner." It was really neat. They have the flag that flew in Baltimore which inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner. I wish we had a picture of it, but the flag is so old that no photography is allowed. Sorry. However, I did get some photos of something even more meaningful and important: "Candy Heaven". We stopped here on our way to the airport. I can't believe how seriously these three took it. They each had to strategically pick out which candies and in what quantities they would take with them.

Traffic notwithstanding, we got them to the airport on time, and then we had to say goodbye to our silly spring break together. Sad! It was so fun to have Cailtyn and Amanda here. Thanks for coming guys!! Mike and I went home and pretty much slept for the next two days straight. Those young college kids sure wore us old folks out!

Who's coming to visit us next??!!

5 comments:

Shea Petersen said...

me, me, me, me, me! looks like fun!

mommaquincy said...

We went to a candy store in this huge mall in Houston. It was a highlight for us, too. Of course the candy makes it a great backdrop for pictures! I wish I could visit! I'm saving all of my traveling dollars for the next birth of a grandchild. Who knows where that will be?

G'ma J said...

You know that we show up on all doorsteps that offer the slightest invitation. May we make our reservation now? Do you know where you will be after January of next year? Moving does not realease you of this invite! You must leave a forwarding address!!!!!

Mary said...

If I had more money or a business excuse I would definitely be your next visitor. But don't you and Mike want any alone time? You know, Erika's ready to be a grandma...

Sarah K said...

How fun! I love all the posts about Spring Break! It will be a miracle if I ever get off this island, but when I do--it's on my list of places to visit. Miss and love you guys!